Featured Maternity Motherhood

Birth Story: Bronx Elliot Garcia

August 21, 2018

On July 27th at 1:23am, we welcomed Bronx Elliot Garcia to the world.

Honestly, it was one of the hardest nights of my life.

When I got to the hospital (around 5pm), my contractions were inconsistent but painful. I was 4cm dilated and 90% effaced. After about an hour, the doctor decided to start me on pitocin so that we could get some more consistent contractions going. By 9pm, I was having consistent and intensely painful contractions. The doctor broke my water.

I started getting the shakes and my oxygen was low. The nurse told me that the anesthesiologist was about to head into a c-section and if I wanted the epidural, I needed it now. I’m pretty sure I said something along the lines of “GIVE IT TO ME.” The anesthesiologist came in about ten minutes later, and by then I was in so much pain that I couldn’t move or breathe. 

After the epidural, my legs started going numb but I was still in a lot of pain. After about an hour, I started feeling like someone had shoved a knife inside me and was twisting it with each contraction. I knew something wasn’t right. My nurse upped the dosage, but it still did nothing for the pain in my vagina. Around 11:30pm, I was crying, screaming, shaking. I had never been in so much pain. The baby’s oxygen levels were low and I couldn’t breathe.

The anesthesiologist finally came back and I don’t even remember what he did, but whatever he did made me numb from my vagina to my boobs. I couldn’t move but at least I wasn’t in pain anymore. And right around that time, the nurse checked me and said I was 9.5cm dilated and that she was going to call the doctor. They came in and got set up and I started pushing at 1:11am. We welcomed Bronx Elliot Garcia into the world at 1:23am. They put her on my chest and everything in the world was right. Every fear, all my anxiety, it all washed away when I looked at her face for the first time. There’s nothing that can heal your heart – quite like holding your rainbow baby. I held her, nursed her, let her daddy hold her. Then the nurse took her to weigh her and do all her vitals.

That’s when they realized she couldn’t get warm. They had her under the heater for about 30 minutes and her temperature wasn’t getting any better. They said her blood sugar was low. At this point, the epidural was starting to wear off and I was shaking like crazy again. The after-birth contractions were causing my whole body to shake and I was crying because the pain was so bad. At 2:45am, the nurse had to take Bronx to the nursery because they couldn’t get her any warmer and her blood sugar was too low. And they took me to a postpartum room.

They gave me percocet for the pain and I was in and out of sleep until about 6am. When I finally woke up and realized Bronx still wasn’t in our room, I started crying all over again. Anthony was with her in the nursery and sent me photos of her because I told him I couldn’t remember what she looked like. Around 7:30am, after an hour and a half of me begging the nurses to bring her to my room, they finally did. When they rolled her in, it was like a breath of fresh air. We ended up having to stay in the hospital for three days because they had to run tests on her, but ultimately she was able to come home because they didn’t find anything wrong (and her blood sugar was finally normal after a few hours). 

Since, we’ve brought her home… it’s been pure bliss. She is absolute perfection and I still (three weeks later) cannot stop staring at her. She’s completed our family.

Bronx Elliot Garcia

July 27, 2018 | 1:23am | 7lbs 10oz | 20 inches



  • Reply
    August 21, 2018 at 3:41 pm

    Okay well I just cried! What precious memories to have

Leave a Reply