One of our favorite Arizona getaways is driving up to Strawberry for the weekend. It’s only 2 hours away from the Valley and a whole lot cooler. It even gets snow in the wintertime to early spring (which to a Southern Arizonan is almost as cool as the beach)! We love it so much that it’s become something of a family tradition for Christmastime.
If you’re heading up to Strawberry, I have some must-haves, must-stays, and must-dos for you!
- The Strawberry Inn is our favorite place to stay up north. It’s a beautiful, quaint little inn right off the main road. They only have 8 rooms. Each room is decorated SO cute with farmhouse style decor, shiplap, and the comfiest beds ever. We love how close it is to several restaurants (like, walking distance), and the cute little areas outdoors for the kids to run around and play. Each room has a TV with netflix and cable (for those late snowy nights), coffee makers, a place to sit, and the cutest bathrooms. Outside, there’s porch swings, picnic tables, and an adorable windmill. If you’re going to Strawberry, Arizona, you have to stay here.
- A slice of pizza and basket of wings from Old County Inn. I would literally drive two hours just to eat here, that’s how good it is.
- A pound of fudge from Pine Creek Fudge & Ice Cream Shop. They make their fudge fresh in the kitchen, and let me tell ya… it is delicious.
- Drive to Payson for lunch, an afternoon of exploring, and if you have kids… they have the cutest park with ducks and geese.
- Hike Tonto Natural Bridge. Take lots of water and wear comfy shoes.
- Drive to the Strawberry School House (super close to the Inn) for some fun history. This school house is the oldest standing school in Arizona.
- And of course, the SNOW is a must-see! If you plan your trip just right, you’ll have one of the most breathtaking experiences. If you think Strawberry is beautiful, wait until you see Strawberry under a blanket of snow. There were countless places to stop on the side of the road, park, and boom – you’re at a dreamy, snow bank. We could have easily sled (if we had brought sleds lol). And we built a few cute little snowmen!
Oh, and here’s a bonus tip: definitely bring mittens for your two-year-old.
If you’re headed up to Arizona Rim Country and looking for a luxury weekend on a budget – stay at The Strawberry Inn. You will LOVE it!