This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CelebrateWithM #CollectiveBias
Memorial Day is our designated day to remember the brave human beings who have given their lives for our beautiful country. While we should remember (and be thankful for) them every day, Memorial Day is a perfect day to go above and beyond in showing gratitude. My husband’s brother, X, serves in the Navy. Last year, he was at sea for 10 months. My daughter was born during the time he was gone and he didn’t get to meet her until she was eight months old! It was not only hard on my husband, because he missed his brother so much, but it was (obviously) super hard on X. We were able to go to San Diego and watch his ship come in last year! It was such an emotional day. Watching husbands reunite with their wives and children. Watching mothers reunite with their children. Watching sons and daughters be reunited with their parents. Many tears were shed (happy tears, that is!), but we were so happy to have our sailor home!
My Papa Chuck served in the Army during World War II. My Grandpa Howard served in the Air Force during World War II. Unlike so many, they were both able to return home safely to their families. I cannot begin to imagine the pain of the families that weren’t as lucky. I am eternally grateful to those who have given their lives to protect our great nation.
My personal experience with the military and troops makes the MARS “1 For You, 1 For the Troops” campaign (exclusively at Walmart) one that I support and love! For every bag purchased at Walmart, MARS will be donating one bag to the troops! It features patriotic red, white and blue varieties of popular MARS candy. For our Memorial Day celebrations, I purchased M&M’s® Red, White, & Blue Milk Chocolate, M&M’s® Red, White, & Blue Peanut, and Skittles® Red, White, & Blue. Using the M&M’s® Red, White, & Blue Milk Chocolate, I was able to make the most delicious USA themed cookies to celebrate our troops and the amazing gift they give us every single day… our freedom!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1/2 cup (or one stick) butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup M&M's® Red, White, & Blue Milk Chocolate
WHAT TO DO:
- Combine the butter, sugars, egg and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and mix until creamy.
- Add the flour, pudding mix (add it dry), baking soda and salt and mix until combined into a dough
- Stir in the chocolate chips and M&M's®.
- Use a large cookie scoop or spoon to create little balls of dough and place on a large plate.
- Cover the plate with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for three hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the dough balls evenly spaced out on the sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a baking rack for 10-15 minutes before serving.